ITS SUMMERTIME! It’s time for road trips, and carefree weekend getaways! Beach vacations and pool destinations! Look at you all slammed up in heels and a kaftan! Ok, so maybe it’s really time to pack up the kids, wipe slobber off with you’re clothing, wash sticky ice-cream off your hands with spit, and you’re dressed in shorts that are riding up in the middle and a tee from 1975…… Most people do some traveling during the summer. And that means packing. Raise your hand if you are an ‘over-packer’. MEEE! Although, I’m getting better. Airlines are charging for bags, the car isn’t big enough for the kids shit and yours. Minimalist packing is a great idea. Try these items on for size.
1. A simple basic clutch bag. You can slip this into your bigger carry on bag that has all your important essentials in it, and you can grab and go with no fuss when you head out for drinks or dinner. And BTW – please do not bring your entire wallet away with you. I promise that receipt from Bed Bath and Beyond you have stuffed in there in case you want to return the sheets you bought, will not be needed on this trip. #swear
2. A well fitted white tee. A good white tee that’s not stained or sloppy looking can be worn to run around all day with shorts and flip flops. And then, can easily be paired with a maxi skirt and sandals for heading out after a day at the beach.
3.Oversized jean jacket. This is an indispensable item. If you don’t own one, get one. You won’t regret it. You can throw it on over ANYTHING. It will go with daytime clothes and anything you put together for nighttime wear. Now please, do not go into your closet and dig out the cropped fitted one you have been holding onto since the summer of 89′. Get a medium wash, boxy fit, it will last forever.
4.Wedges. No need for stilettos on the go. A pair of espadrille style wedges, or any wedge heel, with take you from day to night with no problem. Dress them up or down and are soooooo easy to walk in. Lord knows the place you decide to go to eat dinner is probably too close to drive to, but not really walkable in heels without injury. Plus you just know it’s gonna be some kind of charming cobblestone street which is a recipe for Louboutin disaster.
5.That Maxi dress I mentioned? Find a soft breezy fabric that won’t wrinkle. Ball it up and wear it to the beach as a cover up, or out for cocktails. Simply change up your shoes and accessories. Easy peasy.
6. A long sleeved light cotton Tee. You can throw this on if it gets chilly at night, or if the AC is cranked up. Go with a solid color so it will match whatever you have on the bottom.
7. A classic white button down or denim chambray shirt. Can go with shorts, cropped pants, sneakers, or sandals. You can use it to cover up at the pool or beach, and is always in style. Tie it at the waist if you are feeling frumpalicious.
8. A pair of sandals. Something casual yet functional and streamlined. This isn’t the time for your funky shoes. Leave those at home. I know, you imagined yourself walking along in the new shoes you had to have. You won’t be sauntering. You will be running, sweating and chasing little people. Make it easy on yourself.
9. A linen scarf. Wanna know what makes ‘those’ women look effortlessly stylish? A light weight neutral color scarf. Throw it on with that white tee and a pair of crops or skinnies and viola. You too can look like a french gal on the riviera!
10. Last but not least a pair of skinny pants or jeans. You favorite, most comfortable pair will take you from day to night. Wear them with sandals and a tee durning the day for sightseeing. Throw your wedges and a scarf with big earrings for night. BAM. you are now that woman. #StylishBitch
Let’s be honest, vacation is not the time to stress over what you are wearing. I promise you Martha from whereeverville isn’t wondering why you don’t have on stilettos, and mocking your simple flats. She’s sweating and her feet hurt because she didn’t read my blog and packed all the wrong things! Happy Travels!